Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Tip O'Day for Authors #170

Guest blogger Steve Spatucci applies a watercolor concept to writing.

I was an Illustration major in college, and one of the classes in my major was Intro to Watercolor. Painting with watercolors has a surprising amount of rules and idiosyncrasies – different colors blend in different ways, and some have unexpected qualities when laid on paper. One technique I learned is the "wet edge". Watercolors tend to dry quickly, and once an area dries completely, its edge becomes defined - even if you try to expand it later. So, if you're painting a large area and you don't want visible separations, you have to retain a wet edge by continuously adding water to the boundaries you're working on, never letting it dry.

Only recently did I make the connection from the wet edge technique to writing. When I'm stuck on a story, I've found that the longer I stay away from the piece, the harder it is to get back into it – and sometimes it even winds up being abandoned.

Most writers have noticed this; the write-anything-even-if-it's-bad concept isn't new. But thinking of the wet edge when I'm having a hard time continuing is a nice little extra reminder that adding even just a sentence or two will prevent my story from being finished before it's complete.

If you’d like to learn more about Steve, his website is http://www.stevespatucci.com

1 comment:

  1. Steve has a brand-new website for screenwriting and film treatments:
    http://www.stevespatucciscreenplays.com/

    ReplyDelete