Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tip O'Day for Authors #165

Jolyn “Jodi” Palliata shares the best piece of advice she got as a beginning writer.

Read.

It seems so simple, really. But it’s true. The best writers are great readers. By simply indulging in other’s words (and worlds), I learned so much about plot development, character arcs, various styles, etc.

Another piece of advice I got: get involved. Again…brilliant. By beta reading and critiquing others, I honed the skills I already had and developed new ones I didn’t even know I was missing. Plus, I was surprised at the tightness and flow emerging naturally in my own writing as a result.

Jodi is an indie author with her first book to be released next year. Check out her website (www.jolynpalliata.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment