Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tip O'Day for Authors #159

Guest blogger Denise Alessandro Taymore thinks maybe “it’s all in the hype.”
I am an amateur writer, but when I glance at professional writer's books I am not impressed enough to be intimidated. A friend instructs me and tries to drill it in my head that you have to write strictly in a way that the reader can feel the character's point of view. We know the reader has to have an extreme desire to keep turning the pages of course. I chose a suspense thriller as my first because it was the easiest for me to write. I found the editing grueling. Big shots pay loads of money to editors.
I look at it this way...if your book is fairly good...it's all in the hype of advertising. Just like a new box office movie that is coming out. Hollywood pays big bucks to advertise the movie and then it hits the theaters...even if it stinks...they made their 25 million or more and then it goes to DVD. It was the hype in the advertising that got the audience. And if the movie was good, then all the best to them.
Dixon says: By the way, the last few writing tips have been fairly brief. One potential guest blogger told me, "Oh, I see you're just looking for sound bytes." Noooo, Short is fine, but if the idea doesn't seem fully developed, I'll get back to the writer about beefing it up a bit. Long is also fine, but if it seems "flabby," I'll edit it for tightness, hopefully retaining the essence of the idea. A few submitted tips have been quite lengthy because they contained multiple concepts, in which case I've broken them up into several posts, which allows both of my loyal readers to focus on each central idea. Anyway, don't let either brevity or the lack thereof stand in the way of sending me a proposed writing tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment