Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tip O'Day #228 - Keep 70%...For What?

Guest blogger Sue Owen on self-publishing versus traditional publishing.
It used to be that a publisher did everything from cover to back page including all advertising and setting up personal appearances, etc. Now, they are too busy reading and publishing books and don’t have time for all that, so it is up to authors to promote their own materials. For that you are paying up to 70% commission. So take that 70% and publish it yourself for a 3% commission. Why waste time, energy and funds to do something yourself, that you end up doing yourself anyway. To learn more about Sue, check out her blog at bySueOwen.blogspot.com
I receive and share comments on both sides of the “e-book vs tree-book” debate, and "self-pub vs big pub." Anne Patrick had strong arguments in favor of traditional publishing last week. In today’s post, Sue Owen doesn’t buy that viewpoint.
What’s your opinion?

1 comment:

  1. I have been writing passionately since 2000. I have been self-published since June 2004. When I went to college to earn my degree in writing, I found out then that I would have to do most of the work myself either way from really famous authors. This is the real world-You got to spend money to make money or spend time and research ways to market yourself to get by in the world of writing books and publishing them.

    ReplyDelete