Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tip O'Day #219 - "Picture It"

Guest blogger John Klawitter on visual imagery in e-books.

We’re all aware our audience increasingly devours everything from novels to e-zines on small, hand-held screens. And now it seems e-books are moving beyond words and in the direction of visual imagery. With formats like Kindle, Smashwords and CreateSpace we can add images in the text of our work.

Fifteen years ago, when I wrote Headslap, a sports bio about the life and times of Deacon Jones, the publisher grudgingly included a group of pictures in one section in the center of the book. That used to be the way they did it, an awkward section not all that convenient to refer to. Today you can sprinkle photos and drawings throughout your book at little or no extra cost. But that’s just one current step in the trend.

Today’s writers are linking to video imagery within the body of the text. I myself am working on a how-to book meant to inspire writers who want to venture into storytelling videos, and I’m imbedding links to YouTube and Vimeo to give readers the opportunity to experience short video examples of exactly what I’m talking about.

2 comments:

  1. There are those people that do not own a computer and do not ever want to own one. There are those people that like the feel of a book in their hands. There are quite a few readers, if the story is written well, that can imagine or picture what the writer is trying to say throughout the book, just fine. If we had a vote, I bet there are more people that like picking up a book in a book store or in a grocery store than to pick up a device and download the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all seem to have the same reasons why we do not read, but aren't they all excuses? My kids did not read unless it was homework, until high school. I loved to read, but it was one genre and I would not pick up any other style book or genre. Since I have become a mentor for new authors, I have gotten the pleasure of reading all different types of genres. I do not like reading too many books that are already out there, because they always disappoint me. I have made excuses to myself that it is because I am too busy writing and reading new authors manuscripts. I myself want to pick up a book to read. My favorites remain the same to this day-Mystery and I guess if it is not hooking me in and then keeping me interested until the end of the book, then I do not read.

    ReplyDelete