Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tip O'Day #215 - Feeling Passion?

Guest blogger Laura Schultz is passionate...about writing and reviewing.

I have always been passionate about writing poetry as I was able to address the human condition as well as muddle through my own as a child. Besides poetry, I enjoy writing in a myriad of genres such as self-help and true crime. My passion has always been to facilitate growth and change, and to inspire others to transcend their struggles. I endeavor to use my background as a psychotherapist in my writing for those reasons.

After reading and reviewing books for the past few years for the NY Journal of Books, I developed a great respect for authors. I was able to learn the delicate balance between elevating a good story and pointing out some of its weak points. Reviewing is the best of both worlds and has greatly improved my writing because of learning from others.

I got to know Laura through the FB group Writers Etc. She is a co-administrator there but a more accurate job title might be Guiding Spirit. She is tremendously helpful and supportive, and can offer interesting psychological insights into what makes your characters tick.

1 comment:

  1. I thought I knew not one thing about writing poetry. Winning awards and becoming a judge of other authors poetry has inspired me to think beyond the box. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!

    ReplyDelete