Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Tip O'Day #205 - Why Barbara Self-Publishes

Guest blogger Barbara Bixon wonders about listings on Writer’s Market.

I love writing. It's my passion but it's frustrating as hell.

I write comedy. When I send out chapters of my books, the agents scribble notes telling me how much they loved the book, characters, they couldn't put it down, but they reject it saying they don't handle comedy. Yet Writer's Market lists them as wanting humor. It's enough to drive you nuts. I've just gotten so sick and tired of the games that I self-published my books. They came out great and I have 26 book talks lined up for the next few months. I'm finally happy to see my books in print. Don't care whether I make a fortune.

Why bother writing if you can't share your stories?

1 comment:

  1. Tip: What most new writers don't realize, is that they need to finish their manuscript before turning it in to anyone.

    For legal mumbo jumbo, let's go to Writer's Market to find a publisher. Seriously, I have had better luck for the new authors I mentor with suggesting publishers through the Literary Market Guide. There is one on-line and in libraries in the reference section. They tend to have small presses that accept new authors over the old.

    I'm not say this is you, but most authors are turned down, because their query, synopsis, or proposal is really bad.

    ReplyDelete