Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Tip O'Day #267 - She's an Indie!

Guest blogger Kathy Rowe on self-publishing.

My first venture into self-publishing was Mind Games. Doing a 190K word book was probably more than I should've done but I took my time, did more research, and learned the hard knocks of formatting.

After two years of hard core writing and publishing, I have three full-length novels, one novella, and nearly a dozen short stories out. My books can be found on Amazon, Smashwords, BN, All Romance Ebooks, and BookStrand. I'm by no means financially successful. In fact I'm looking at about $100 in royalties this quarter.

Many ask me why I decided to remain Indie. Well, I think the greatest incentive is FREEDOM. I can write what I want (if it sells or not, well, I'm to blame). I can publish when I want, not having to wait 2-5 years for a traditional publisher to start the presses running. I keep a greater percentage of the royalties, control my book covers, and am free to impart my personal side into my writing. Would I take a publishing contract if offered? Maybe - if it was juicy enough!

Until the big publishing contracts and movie deals start rolling in, I'll happily remain an Indie author, publisher, and farmer.

To learn more about Kathy, check out her blog.

1 comment:

  1. Some Readers have gotten the wrong impression about anyone Self-Published.

    I will happily remain and Indie. Even if a big time publisher wants one of my books. Even if one of my books becomes a movie. This does not mean I can not have full rein over the rest of my book ideas.

    ReplyDelete