Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Tip O'Day #258 - Being Indie

Guest blogger Thomma Lyn Grindstaff on writing and getting published.

One of my novels is published with a small press, but since then, I decided to take the independent author route. I love the freedom of self-publishing, though there's nothing wrong with choosing a small press, either, or with going for publication with a larger publisher. It's a decision every author must make for herself, and there's nothing wrong with changing tracks if that's what an author believes is right for her art and career.

In today's environment, where the publishing industry is changing so rapidly - largely due to the rise in popularity of e-books - writers are presented many choices. The Internet brings with it opportunities of which writers of yesteryear could only have dreamed. Regardless of which path (or paths) a writer chooses, she should continually work to hone her craft. There's always something new she can learn. In my opinion, it's better to write from the heart than to chase fads; a writer should strive to write the story she would most want to read.

Speaking of reading, the best thing an aspiring author can do is to read widely. The best authors, to my mind, are also voracious readers who love both skillful words and engaging stories.

Thomma blogs here and her website is found here.

1 comment:

  1. I love the freedom of choice. I write in so many different styles, genres, and or categories. When I first started, I was told I had talent in writing. It is just like restaurant critics:There are those that do not like your writing, but there are quite a lot more people that do. I find I do my best writing when under no stress of a timeline. I still have my own goal sets, but I truly could take all year or longer to write a novel or two weeks. I get into character and love doing so-it actually relieves the real world stresses for the time I am writing. I usually work on three story ideas at a time, then I seem to get around writer's block.

    ReplyDelete