Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tip O'Day #262 - "One Sentence Writing Tips II"

Over the holidays, I asked folks in my online network to share one-sentence writing tips. Here are four more.

Karen Mueller Bryson – “Be precise and concise; eliminate all unnecessary words.”

Kathy Dunne Dunnehoff – “Be a finisher!”

Ellie Mack – “Writer's write; it's what separates us from the pretenders and wannabes.”

Charles O. Maul – “Get an agent and go for it.”

Dixon says: Like yesterday’s tips, these are all great. Karen certainly hit the nail on the head. In my critique group, I’ve found many of my comments concern word choice – either picking the wrong word, or using eight words when a couple will do. Kathy teaches writing at the local college, and knows whereof she speaks. I’ve heard that literary agents spend huge amounts of time pushing authors to finish works for which the writers already received an advance. I thought of Ellie’s comment when I stopped at the dry cleaner today; the clerk told me, “I’ve always thought of writing a book…” Finally, I like Charles’ advice. Even if you don’t land an agent, the pursuit is good for the soul. By writing a query and synopsis, and polishing your book so it’s ready for submission, you’ll learn a lot about the craft of writing and the heart of your story. If nothing else, you’ll also learn patience.

Tomorrow’s post will feature one-sentence tips from Jackie Pelham, Gil Roscoe, Michael Snell and yours truly.

1 comment:

  1. Don't Let yourself get writer's block.

    I work on three story ideas at a time, it really works.

    ReplyDelete