Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Friday, January 13, 2012

Tip O'Day #265 - A Personal Mission

Guest blogger Jeannie Walker on a story close to her family.

My true crime book Fighting the Devil: A True Story of Consuming Passion, Deadly Poison and Murder is about the killing of my millionaire ex-husband. He discovered his new wife and bookkeeper had stolen thousands of dollars from him. After he demanded the money back, he started getting sick. While he was in the hospital, doctors were mystified as to how an otherwise healthy, energetic man could become so deathly ill. He told everyone within earshot that his wife and bookkeeper were killing him. He died in the hospital while strapped down to his bed with restraints on his hands and feet and tubes in every orifice.

At the request of the Sheriff, I became a sleuth to help solve the murder. I did, in fact, help law enforcement solve the crime. My children filed a civil suit against the widow, which gained us access to medical reports and other facts which I used in the book. I also attended the trial and secured the court transcript.

I dedicated my book to the Sheriff, who sadly passed away before he saw any justice in this case. Although it cost me thousands, I self-published the book. I did not send the manuscript to any agents or publishers, mainly because I did not want to sign away any rights. The story has been in the national news and has been the subject of two TV documentaries.

1 comment:

  1. My ex-husband was murdered, too. I only gave it a short story, but it was certainly shocking when it happened. Fortunately, they caught the murderer, who confessed to escape the death penalty.

    What you describe shouldn't happen to anybody. I'm sorry for your and your childrens' loss.

    ReplyDelete