Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Monday, January 9, 2012

Tip O'Day #261 - "One Sentence Tips I"

Over the holidays, I asked folks in my online network to share one-sentence writing tips. I’ve received sixteen so far, and will put up three or four a day while inventory lasts. If more tips dribble in, I’ll make room.

MaryChris Bradley and Melanie Jackson contributed variations on “Plant your butt in the chair and write.”

Gail Buesnel – “Dangle participles at your literary peril.”

Jonnie Comet – “All good stories are about characters.”

Dixon says: These are all excellent. MaryChris and Melanie remind us of the difference between writers and wannabes - the discipline to sit down and write something on a regular basis. Gail's tip makes me think of the poorly edited self-published books I've seen lately that were rife with misspellings, run-on sentences, misplaced modifiers, tense confusion, and subject/verb mismatches. If you're a lover of language, it's enough to make you cringe. Finally Jonnie reminds us that, even in a tightly-plotted tale, character is what keeps the reader turning pages.

Tomorrow will see concise tips from Kathy Dunnehoff, Ellie Mack and Charles O. Maul.

3 comments:

  1. Your protagonist cannot be a perfect person because he/she must have room to grow or improve or change in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Gail's comment: strikes my funy bone, yet applies never the less.

    Firm believer in th ABC - apply butt to chair part. At the moment I'm forcing myself to go to the gym because of the too much butt in my chair aspect of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I write best on the floor: Lay flat on the floor and dream
    If you have a vivid imagination, it will just flow.

    ReplyDelete