Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Tip O'Day for Authors #180

Guest blogger Jeremy Duley on what one reader looks for.
Jeremy lists three factors that influence his decision to read one book rather than another: (1) recommendations from friends, (2) familiarity with the author due to a previous book, and (3) mention of the book or author in a blog he follows.
"Now what catches my eye in the book store or online is the cover and title, of course. I guess that's why you hear so much about how important a good cover is to a book, especially for a new author trying to stand out."
Jeremy blogs at http://jeremyduley.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. I think this is good. I work at a book store so what catches me first is the cover of a book. If the cover catches me. I'll read the first page. If the first page grabs me I'm reading the rest.

    On the other hand if I see a book flying out the store. If 5 or more people have brought the book in a couple of hours. They have my attention. Three books have done that in the 10 years I've worked at a book store. The Three books are

    1. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
    2. The Shack by William Young
    3. Heaven is For Real By Todd Burpo

    This makes me stop people and ask them how they've heard of the book. I wondered what made them buy it. Not just a copy for themselves but a couple for friends as well. The common denominator was WORD OF MOUTH!! Grin!!

    Nora St.Laurent
    The Book Club Network
    www.bookfun.org

    ReplyDelete