Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Tip O'Day #201 - Research (and Be Nice)

Guest blogger Daisy Dunn on the reason for her success.

I decided last November to follow my passion and try to have a novel published this year. I researched the industry tirelessly for two months. I studied publishing houses, submission guidelines, what's hot in the market, how to write a query letter and the dreaded synopsis, etc. On January 1st of this year, I started writing. I finished it at the beginning of April and submitted it. A week later I received my first acceptance letter. I continued to write novels, novellas and short stories and I now have six books in total coming out this year from two different publishing houses.

My advice from this amazing experience is to research the market before submitting. Another suggestion is be nice at all times. It's amazing how much help and advice I've been given from people in the industry (editors, publishers, established authors) because I've been nice. My editor, for instance, has taken me under her wing and not only are we now friends, but I consider her my mentor. That’s my experience in the publishing world so far - very positive (and very lucky!!)

.
Check out Daisy’s (adult) blog at www.daisydunn.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment