Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tip O'Day for Authors #177

Guest blogger Linda Lavonne Barton says, “Typos must die!”

Most of my frustration has come because I'm still learning what not to do. My number one lesson was to never release a book until you are 100% sure it’s clean of typos. In my haste to release my first book, NEXT MOVE, YOU’RE DEAD, I made that mistake. I was going through some health issues and decided to go ahead with the release. After I had several people make me aware of numerous typos, I had to do a complete re-edit and currently have it with a proof reader who is giving it a final look. The book received several 5 star reviews in spite of the typos, but I never wanted to be known as a sloppy writer.

My second book, PURE JUSTICE, was recently released and I took the extra time to make sure it was as clean as possible of typos. Lesson learned, never to be repeated. My only other frustration is learning how to market my books. There are so many different ways to go about letting the reading public learn about a new author. I guess I need to just think of it as another adventure and enjoy the thrill every time readers let me know they enjoyed reading one of my books.

Linda was a guest blogger several weeks ago, a reminder that repeat patronage is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment