Guest blogger Joan De La Haye doesn’t follow instructions. I asked for one writing tip, and she came up with eight – each one excellent. All is forgiven.
1. Go on a writing course. The people you'll meet there will be an invaluable support system.
2. Join a writing group in your area or start your own with some of the people you meet on the course, or else join a Yahoo on-line writing group. There are hundreds to choose from in all the different genres.
3. Set aside a place and time each day to write. I know it's hard, but it's the only way you'll ever get that book finished.
4. Read and research your preferred genre, as well as other genre's. In other words read a LOT.
5. Read the following books: Stephen King’s “On Writing” & Strunk & White’s “The Elements of Style” -
6. Find your own voice and style.
7. Send your completed manuscript to as many publishers or agents as possible. You’ll never get published if you don’t put yourself out there.
8. And finally, NEVER give up!
Here's the link to Joan’s blog: http://joandelahaye.wordpress.com/
And here's a link to her book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Joan-Haye/dp/0983279209/