Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tip O'Day for Authors #147

Guest blogger Bill Gauthier thinks obsession isn’t all bad.

Write the story that grabs you, that becomes your obsession, that just won't get out of your mind no matter how much you try not to think or write about it. When you finally sit down and write it, do so honestly. Don't be afraid of what your friends, lovers, employers, children or neighbors think.

I recently wrote something so dark, someone close to me hated it but I still intend to tweak it and submit it for publication. The story stuck around in my head for almost 3 years and needed writing. As Harlan Ellison has said, "You must never be afraid to go there." I have that taped near my computer and, dammit, I try to live by those words.

Bill’s website is www.billgauthier.com and he currently has two novellas out, Alice on the Shelf (Bad Moon Books) and Shadowed (Delirium Books).

No comments:

Post a Comment