Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Monday, August 8, 2011

Tip O'Day for Writers #122

Some writers on what they look for, when deciding what to read:

Kate Collins: "When I open a book to the first page, I want to be sucked into the story immediately. If those first several paragraphs make me ask questions such as; "Why did s/he do that? What happened to get to that point? What on earth will s/he do next?", I have to read on to find answers. Hopefully, the answers will lead to more questions or problems that will keep me hooked. That's what I strive to do in each book I write, and what I look for in reading material."

The official website for mystery author Kate Collins is http://www.katecollinsbooks.com/

Joy Castro: "For me, it's all about voice. No matter what the blurbs on the back say or how fabulous the reviews have been, it's all about reading that first page myself and feeling the rhythms, the originality, the intimacy and honesty of the particular voice the writer has created on the page. Voice is what hooks me--or leaves me cold."

Joy Castro teaches creative writing, and is the author of a memoir, THE TRUTH BOOK, and the forthcoming thriller, HELL OR HIGH WATER. She blogs at www.joycastro.com, or readers can follow her on Twitter @_joycastro.

No comments:

Post a Comment