Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Tip O'Day for Writers #119

Guest blogger Shalini Boland said she’d love to share a writing tip or three.

1. When promoting, think laterally. Don’t necessarily promote in the same places as everyone else. It’s okay to start small. I did a book signing in a gift shop in the area where my book is set. People loved it and I sold out. I didn’t sell thousands, but I generated a buzz and the local press got involved.

2. I know you spent days researching that scene and you discovered all kinds of interesting facts and details, but if they don’t enhance the story then there’s no point shoe-horning them in. Honestly.

3. An atmospheric piece of music can eliminate writer’s block. If I want teenage angst, I’ll play indie guitar tunes with haunting strings. For horror, I'll dig out classical film soundtracks or a bit of punk metal. And nothing says lurrve like Motown or Amy Winehouse. For maximum inspiration turn up the volume and melt into the music.

Check out Shalini’s blog at http://someonewotwrites.blogspot.com/

Myself, I like something bluesy like Carly Simon.

No comments:

Post a Comment