Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Monday, February 27, 2012

Tip O'Day #303 - Screaming & Running!

Guest blogger Clara Brown on shaping yourself.

I am a new author. Sometimes that makes people want to scream and run in the opposite direction. Others like to flap their wings and cluck like they have never met a writer before (like my mom). Some people do exactly what they should do: share, motivate, and encourage.

The writing life is tough. It always has been but these days, it’s hard for different reasons. For me, the biggest challenge is finding the time to write. I have a full-time job, a husband, and two beautiful children with the youngest being just six months old. Still, I wouldn’t trade my life, or my love for writing, for anything. It just takes me more time than others. When I feel overwhelmed, I read.

When I choose to buy several books written by the same author, it’s often because I relate to the writer as a person. I’m going to use an example from what I saw on Jimmy Kimmel Live! As soon as guest John Goodman sat down, Jimmy pointed out that John had worn the same necktie the last time he appeared on the show. John just laughed and said, “Well, I couldn’t recall which one I wore last time. I only have two so I figured it was a fifty-fifty shot!”

That really impressed me. Although he is rich and famous, John Goodman can still live a simple and happy life. Not all authors have fame or fortune, but we all have the chance to let our writing shape and mold us into the unique individuals we are, rather than spoiling our talent with pomposity and a black heart. Readers will ultimately gravitate towards the authors who can fill them with passion, excitement, fear or hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment