Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Tip O'Day #294 - Living in 2 Worlds

What Facebook means to guest blogger Jo Marshall.

What I like most about Facebook is the opportunity it offers to become involved instantly in causes such as donating books to at-risk students, or signing petitions. I try to avoid politics because my pages represent the Twig Stories series and its underlying message of care for our natural world. My royalties are donated to nonprofits so my Facebook pages are not about me as an author. They are meant to be a reflection of the theme of the Twig world - climate change, endangered wildlife, shrinking glaciers, and adaptation to a warming world. These are important themes, and I am privileged to represent them via Twig Stories.

So I'm excited to use Facebook and proud I've figured out how, since I'm no longer young. Learning new tech skills becomes more painful every day. I'm very, very interested in all my fascinating Facebook friends! Their world is much more expansive, entertaining, and educational than mine. What I love most about all of them is that they are happy, busy, and encouraging! I'm learning so much about them, and from them.

Perhaps all of this has been said by others before, but I hope the goodwill extended to others in the Facebook community is carried by them into the 'real' world. I think their tolerance and cheerfulness shown here on these pages might make a difference in how we interact with one another elsewhere...or not.

But it has made a difference for me. Now I have this wonderful, meaningful and educational place I can come to everyday, and know one of my Facebook friends will always make me laugh.

Learn more about Jo Marshall at Twig Stories.

1 comment:

  1. I hope we both learn from our new found friendship on FaceBook

    ReplyDelete