Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Tip O'Day #302 - How Readers Pick a Book

Periodically, I like to share comments from readers about how they select their next book to beg, borrow or buy.

Amos Lassen - I try to review every book I am sent, of which there are many. If I’m thinking of buying a book, I read the blurbs and scan the sample pages a bit. Usually I will buy a book that I have read good things about if the concept appeals to me.

Laurie Jenkins - For me, besides time, the most important factor in my decision to read/review a book comes down to genre, then the blurb, then reading a bit of the sample. It's tough. Like most these days, I never have enough time to read all the books I'd really like to read, so I try not wasting time on ones I don't think I'll enjoy. It is getting more and more difficult to meet all my review commitments so my resolution for this year is to say "no" more often and try not to feel so guilty doing so.

Clara Brown - What makes me choose to read one book over the other is a creative plot. Right now I’m reading a horror story written from the POV of a giant flesh-eating Venus flytrap. Not only was the story well written, but how many Venus fly traps do you know?

Dixon Rice – One thing I love about the writing community is how helpful everybody is, even to clueless newbies. When I see there is a new book from someone who’s been active in online author groups, someone who posts thoughtful reviews, someone who is supportive of other writers – that’s a book I’ll take a chance on.

1 comment:

  1. Good idea to post these. For me, I choose a book based on the cover (shallow I know), the genre, the blurb, and increasingly, on the reviews I read of it. And now I take the time to look at a reviewers 'history' to see if I can trust them or not.

    ReplyDelete