Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tip O'Day #287 - A Facebook Fan

Guest blogger Jo Marshall brings enthusiasm to social networks.

A little late to the game, I only began using Facebook two months ago, initially setting up my author and book page to showcase my Twig Stories book series. Very quickly, however, I began using Facebook to reach out to other authors, librarians, teachers, professors and news media. I learned more about climate change, the environment, agents of change in conservation efforts, and the many wildlife nonprofits. Suddenly I was 'linked in.'

I have several lists that reflect my many interests: Librarians, Teachers, Universities & Colleges, Wildlife & Environmental Nonprofits, Literary, Media, and for those who feel compelled to post more than ten updates a day, I file them in 'Friendliest.' Of course, I also have a Close Friends file.

Facebook is an excellent way to gather news in one long stream. Every day I open it up as I would a newspaper...and read and read and read. Within an hour I can cruise the BBC, NPR, science journals (I'm a member of the Society of Environmental Journalists), children's literacy sites, book reviews, library events, current affairs, and author accomplishments. I really enjoy lively societies such as professional storytelling guilds and book groups.

I guess it’s obvious - I'm a real Facebook fan.

This writer will be back in a few days with more on social networking. To learn more about Jo Marshall, go to her Twig Stories website.

1 comment:

  1. I have a small fan base on FACEBOOK, but I got out there to twitter and linkedin and more now thanks to FaceBook. I can also check up on my friends and the insights of what my fans want. I ask poll questions and post my new books published. I was able to upload a video I made to YouTube for all my fans to see. I got a Webees page and all my fans can get updates about all my books.

    ReplyDelete