Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Friday, February 3, 2012

Tip O'Day #282 - How Do You Choose a Book?

How three readers select what to read:

Tami Kidd - I have a lot less time for reading now, but when I do I read what I think I will enjoy. I usually stick to mysteries, paranormal, some romance. I have a two hour commute to work every day, so audio books have been a blessing.

Cathy Speight – I’ll read anything, especially if it is a genre I have not tried before. Review list aside, I have a somewhat eclectic taste in books. I only read e-books (clarity, font size, etc). I download heaps of free books. Unlike some, I don't believe free = crap. (I also pay for books, within reason.) I glance at the ratings. If they are consistently poor, I will probably give the book a miss, but if they are mixed or consistently good, then I'll give it a go. I buy books on recommendation, also.

Deborah J. Hughes - I look at the cover, of course, but what determines it for me is the blurb. If the blurb is not written well, I expect the book won't be either. So that's it. I buy a book on personal recommendation, reviews and their ratings, and a well-written blurb.

Three more readers speak up tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I buy books for multiple reasons. Recommendations that a book is good means that if the cost is right I will pick up that book. Sometimes a cover pulls me into the book and could also be used as the sole reason I buy a book. The blurb gets me the most, if I am interested in the blurb then the book is mine. Also I spend hours downloading free books. I don't go by ratings however. I don't care that people didn't like the book, maybe it wasn't their cup of tea. I buy all books e-books, hardcover, paperback, etc. Haven't bought any audiobooks but I would probably give it a try too. I love books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The subject/genre starts me off, but it is the opening sentence/paragraph that needs to grab me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The question seems to asks how do I choose a book to read, but the comments also inspire me to answer when and why I buy books v. acquire them some other way (free, library, lending from another reader, etc.) The first question is much more difficult to answer and very ambiguous: I choose to read books that kindle my interest in the moment. But I buy many more books than I read. I buy books if the author is alive and trying to make a living. I buy books if a friend or cyber-friend asks me to. I buy books when they catch my interest in the moment. I buy when a reviewer I trust says the book is worthy. I buy when a reviewer I don't agree with says the book is "bad." And so on. When do you buy books and why?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have recently bought books because I liked some of the authors other books. I regretted that decision. I have recently checked books out of the library that were classics and some of an author I never heard of, but the librarian spoke very highly of. I also regretted my choices. The only books I do not regret buying seem to be my own, but I buy them for book signings and so I would have a copy. I do want to buy books by new authors I know when they come out, because I got the chance to mentor them-I found myself wanting to read their books. I am really not driven toward Romance-I probably might find I like Christian Romance, but Secular is definitely not for me. I believe I have tried to pick up James Patterson, because the Title sounds good and the about the book sounds really good, then but if you do not hook me in the first two pages and keep me hooked until I finish the book, then I will not bother taking out my time reading it.

    ReplyDelete