Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tip O'Day #249 - Boost Your Chances

Guest blogger Marlene Samuels on how she improved her chances of getting published.

I created a very precise "elevator summary" about my book. Imagine you enter an elevator at the same time as an agent or editor. You have to be able to describe your book and engage that person in 2-3 sentences, before those elevator doors open up again!

My other efforts include taking classes at more professional writing conferences, carrying my business cards, collecting cards from anyone who may possibly to put me in contact with someone, and reading advice columns by agents. My other big effort - one that really requires self discipline that I still struggle with - is writing something every day and then going back a week later and reading what I wrote. That process has really improved my self-editing skills.

To learn more about Marlene, check out her blog.
By the way, it took awhile for the text and cover to marry up, but Dixon’s first e-book THE ASSASSINS CLUB is now up on Kindle for $2.99 - amazon reviews would be welcome.

1 comment:

  1. I really like post. The quality of writing is really invaluable. I am going to order this e-book very soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete