Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Monday, December 12, 2011

Tip O'Day #237 - More of How Readers Choose

I asked some friends how they pick books to read or purchase.

Lynna Dee - I usually go for any mystery. I also have certain favorite authors. I will give new authors a chance. Dislikes: I hate books with too much information that has nothing to do with the story.

Marta Moran-Bishop - I will read just about anything, as long as it is well written or gives me insight into a time, place, era, or imaginary world. When picking a book to read, I look for content and the style of the writer. It is very important for me to be able to believe in the characters. If I can't then I lose interest.

Anthony Newman - Many times, one of my friends will tell me that they just read this great book. I'll get it on the Kindle and give it a go. If it's good, I will get more books by that author. It also is nice that I can get sample chapters to read and then purchase the entire novel. I haven't been disappointed yet.

Terry Parrish - Reading for me is an addiction. If I could afford it I would buy every book that appealed to me, in many genres. When choosing between two books, I’ll choose the one I want to read the most, and then get the other one the next time. I also won't read the first books until they’ve all been published.

Eleanor Anders - For personal reading, I depend on the back cover description. Does it hook me? Am I already invested in the story just from the back cover? It both of these answers are yes, I buy!

Nanci Nelson Rogers - In a book store, I am first attracted to a book by its cover, and then the title. A cleverly chosen title can often sell the book by itself. Then I read the synopsis, and decide if this is a book I want to read. Online, my approach is a little different. If the title is not intriguing, I am not going to click to that next page to see anything else. Then, the synopsis has to be written so I just have to know more.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing how everyone decides to buy a book. Just like no two personalities are alike, so is choosing which book to buy and read.

    ReplyDelete