Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Tip O'Day #248 - "Don't Give Up"

Guest blogger Kathy Bertone on traditional publishing.

I am going to swim against today’s tide and tell you yet-to-be-published authors, not to give up on traditional publishers. I have heard too many writers say that they can’t, no one hears them, it’s too hard, the odds are stacked against them, etc. That is not necessarily the case. Don’t be discouraged - be bold.

I wrote a one-page query for my book, The Art of the Visit which I emailed to those literary agents that I researched, knew would be interested in non-fiction, and would accept an electronic query. Of course I got rejections, but I did not give up. Finally, in my inbox, there were the words I longed to hear, “Hi Kathy, yes, I have an interest in your idea. Would love to see your manuscript…”

Don’t get me wrong – self-publishing can be a good thing for those who know how to do it. But if you have a good idea and can write, don’t give up, don’t have fear, and don’t be discouraged. You never know what might happen until you go for it. But do your research first. There are ‘rules’ that you must adhere to. And it may be worth your time and effort.

For more info about Kathy, check out her website: www.theartofthevisit.com
Thanks for all the guest bloggers, both published and unpublished, who have shared their knowledge and opinions this year. Dixon's first published novel, The Assassins Club, will be available as e-book on both Amazon Kindle and B&N Nook later today, or possibly Christmas Day.
Have a wonderful Christmas Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment