Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Tip O'Day #242 - Scams

Guest blogger Rose Blackthorn on being scammed.
I fell into that trap of submitting to an agent who referred me to a “book doctor” stating that after professional editing they would be pleased to represent my manuscript. The editor charged me an exorbitant amount, and after making the suggested changes I resubmitted to the agent, who now was no longer interested.
Dixon says: Thanks for sharing, Rose, and hopefully you've prevented other writers from falling for this scam. There are many honest and helpful literary agents, book editors, and book doctors - but how to ferret out the unethical ones? I'd suggest using the 'Preditors and Editors' website before signing either a contract or a check.

No comments:

Post a Comment