Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tip O'Day for Writers # 99

Guest blogger Richard S. Charles on the courage to cut.

Never be afraid to delete sentences, paragraphs or even whole sections of your work-in-progress if they are not necessary, even if they are beautifully written. I once purposely deleted a whole chapter of my sequel when I was editing it. Although it read well, the plot was obviously going nowhere as a result of its inclusion; it was just padding and superfluous!

Dixon says: Great advice, with one small proviso. I have a “junk” file in my computer where I save large chunks (a paragraph or more) that I’ve cut during rewrites and edits. Sometimes I find myself going back and searching for one golden sentence or phrase that would be perfect somewhere else.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about the 'golden sentence', Dixon. I did print off what I was going to delete ...just in case.

    ReplyDelete