Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Saying for Writers #69

Another Quotation which Might (or Might Not) inspire you to write:

"The greatest part of a writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book." - Samuel Johnson

Dixon says: I'm working on two novels at the same time. Sometimes I run into a creative wall on one. By switching to the other project, I often find my subconscious mind works out a solution for book #1 while I'm distracted by book #2. Also, I've got a wife and four wonderful kids who deserve my time and attention. I'm active in my church and two Toastmasters clubs, assign referees to the youth soccer games in Kalispell, and do my share of refereeing and coaching as well.

It feels like I'm cheating somebody or something when I force myself to crack open a book or turn on my Kindle, but I know it energizes my mind and spirit, and helps my writing. From starting out awful at dialogue, I've turned it into a strength through reading Elmore Leonard, Robert B. Parker, Richard Price, and other masters of dialogue.

In my humble opinion, three things are essential for a writer: a love of reading, a feel for the music and magic within language, and a willingness to accept constructive criticism.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. I always work on 2 projects at a time [at the minute I swear it feels like 10]. When both WIPS are not inspiring me I play scrabble on line. Sometimes finding that one word does it for me!
    Have a great day..

    ReplyDelete