Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tip O'Day for Writers #107

Guest blogger John Grover on the importance of patience.

As far as writing and getting published goes, the key is to have patience, extreme patience. No one gets published overnight. It took me a few years to get one story published and even longer to get professionally published.

While waiting to get published, you should be honing your craft, write as much as possible, everyday if possible. Read your work out loud, and have someone who is impartial critique it. Work on grammar, dialogue, sentence structure again and again. Even when you think you have it right, go through it again.

Read a lot... read everything you can. Read outside your genre. If you're a horror writer, read horror, from the masters and from the newbies, but also read sci-fi, fantasy, history, drama, romance and mysteries.

I think these things in a healthy combination can make you happy with your writing. You may not be a best seller. I've been writing since I was 18 and I am now 40. I am not a huge success but I am happy with myself. My writing is published, I have books to my name, and a good circle of fellow writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment