Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Tip O'Day #329 - How Readers Pick What to Read, Part 3

I asked some writer/reader friends on FB what factors help them choose a book to read, and their answers appear this week.

Malika Gandhi - I go by the cover, as well as what is written on the blurb. The cover tells a lot about the book itself. It should be appealing and inviting at the same time. This is vital but a cover must complement the blurb. Writing a blurb is hard and to get it right is even harder. You have to go through many revisions before the final piece. Recently, I read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It’s a brilliant book in itself; the blurb is fantastic but so is the cover which nicely ties together the whole package.

Keith Gouveia - I read a random selection of pages. If they grab me, I take it home.

Judith Anne Horner - I have favorite authors. I also read reviews on various websites. If I think the book is one I would like to read, I either download it to my Nook or reserve it at the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment