Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Monday, March 21, 2011

Tip O'Day #38

Today's guest post is from novelist Gary Williams: Writing fiction is a full-time job.

"I don’t mean in the literal sense that I’m writing 8-12 hours a day. What I mean is that, in everything I do throughout the course of the day, I’m looking for story ideas. It doesn’t matter if I’m in the middle of developing a storyline, working on a manuscript, mowing the grass, watching TV, or driving. I always look for the next idea, that special seed that will germinate into a great book. I’ve found that the best thing to do is keep a document for rough ideas so they’re not forgotten. Then, when the time comes to start a new project, you’ll have a head start. It’s far easier to develop a story when the idea is already waiting for you as opposed to forcing it to emerge."

Along with co-author Vicky Knerly, Gary Williams is signed with Park Literary Agency in New York City, NY. Their first novel is expected to be released in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment