Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Tip O'Day #317 - Writing is Personal

Guest blogger Malika Gandhi on Life Writing.

You may have heard that writing is a personal thing. It truly is. People write for different reasons - for recognition perhaps, out of passion, or it could just be their job. It begins with a thought, maybe written within the pages of a diary, and a “why not?” The creative energy flows when you write something you feel strongly about. Emotions come into play - anger, sadness, happiness. The pen and paper become your friends.

Writing is about seeing. It’s about noticing what happens around you. Just walking down the street and watching what goes on around you will bring ideas. We live in a fascinating world and there is never enough to write about, but the hard part is what to write? What makes people want to stop browsing and start reading? Research is the answer, and then to go by that trend.

But this is not always necessary. If you simply want to express yourself, then there is no stopping you. Just blog. In your own site, you can put down anything that fascinates you. You can talk about photography, your life, your hobbies...the list is endless.

I began to write when I was in junior school and I was told to write book reviews in a log book. I was an avid reader and still am. I loved reviewing books by my favourite authors, C.S.Lewis and Roald Dahl. Sometimes I got carried away and filled two or more pages than was necessary! As I grew older, I moved on to writing diaries. Years later, I began to write my novel and as all authors, established or not, I had to overcome many hurdles. I attended writing courses, read many articles, and subscribed to writing magazines to get where I am now.

I still have a lot more to learn but being self-published, opened me up to the world of blogging. The site is based on my novel Freedom of the Monsoon. Also, I have the chance to showcase other works. I can talk about my personal life, my art, and my culture. Each time I post something, I feel I have achieved and so will you. It is a personal satisfaction.
Learn more about Malika at her blog.
Dixon says: Malika, I like your book title - very lyrical. One thing I disagree with is following trends. At the moment, gay, conflicted werewolves may be all the rage, but in the 2-3 years it takes to write, edit and publish your book, the public will have suffered through a deluge of stories about gay, conflicted werewolves and will not embrace another one. I believe the 'trick' is to figure out what universal themes make people flock to Harry Potter, James Bond, Hunger Games, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and so on. Then find ways to express those themes through your own original characters, plot and settings.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a big fan of trends my self. Because I also believe as you do Dixon that they change with the weather. If you are lucky enough to have a current trend story. Then it won't be for very long.

    ReplyDelete