Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Friday, May 6, 2011

Tip O'Day for Writers #59

Guest blogger Jamie DeBree says “Make your plot twist unpredictable.”

Whenever I find myself writing something that feels old or clichéd, I ask myself how I could twist just one part to make it more original. A character who gets mugged walking through a park is predictable. To twist that scenario, I’d have the mugger *give* something to the victim, rather than take something away. Perhaps the victim wouldn’t realize that until the mugger is gone, and the victim is getting up off the ground, checking for damage and loss. Relatively small twists like that can have a huge impact on the entire story, and make your work even more fresh and intriguing.

Jamie’s website is found at http://jamiedebree.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment