Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Monday, April 25, 2011

Tip O'Day #54

Clea R. Gellar talks about books from the perspective of reader and reviewer.

“I am a very visual person, so a good cover is often the first thing that attracts me to a book. If the cover is bad, I won't pick it up. One thing I have been discovering as a reviewer is that not all books are well edited. That is a key ingredient to making me want to read more from an author or a publishing house. A poorly edited book is very distracting, no matter how good the plot and writing are.

“As for being attracted to certain authors or genres, I think that I go through phases as to what snags my attention. In my early 20's, I couldn't get enough Anne Rice. As I got older and had children my tastes changed to chic lit and stories of friendships and women struggling through life. After being married for 18 years, I find myself reading books with more romance and passion. As I get older I have begun looking for new things to spark my interest, more sci-fi and fantasy. I think I tend to travel toward books that will satisfy something I may feel is missing in my life at that moment. “

No comments:

Post a Comment