Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Monday, April 11, 2011

Tip O'Day #48

Guest blogger Dan L. Hays says his work benefits from a series of edits. (He starts by referring to my earlier comment that "I can't find my own mistakes.")

Ditto, Dixon! I am submitting articles to an online magazine and the editor is working with me because I sometimes shift into a passive voice without knowing it. Just trying to see when I do it is half the battle, even when she gives me examples.

I need several editing looks at anything I'm doing. First, I will go through my work several times to clean up the things I can pick up on. Then I need someone to look at it from the global perspective - as a reader, whether the story line holds water. Third, I need a line edit to work out specific details like the passive voice thing. My work improves greatly with each round of editing!

You can learn more about Dan L. Hays, author of FREEDOM’S JUST ANOTHER WORD, at http://www.danlhays.com - he also blogs at http://danlhays.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment