Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Tip O'Day #410 - NaFiYoDaNoMo

Guest blogger Laura Roberts presents an open letter to NaNoWriMo (which stands for National Novel Writing Month). You might not think it’s necessary to explain that abbreviation on a blog intended for book lovers, in which case you would be wrong.

Dear NaNoWriMo,

You are wonderful. We have been great friends, and I have enjoyed our many years together. What fond memories of participating in word-blasts and world-building, character development and plot thickening… You are a wonderful tool for kickstarting creativity. Every year I look forward to being reunited with you for a month of writing with no excuses.

I love you.

However, this month I need something a little bit different.

Instead of embarking on a new and exciting novelistic journey, I really need to sit my butt down at a keyboard and FINISH THE NOVEL I HAVE ALREADY STARTED. It’s a work in progress. It’s been this way for years. While the desire to start something new always tugs me in different directions, this year I really must finish what I started.

So no-no on a NaNo participant button for my site this year. In its place, I am putting up this button:

It is the NaFiYoDaNoMo button, which is short for National Finish Your Damn Novel Month. If you want to shorten it further, consider YoDaNoMo, which sounds vaguely Star Wars-esque and is therefore sure to placate the true geeks reading this. (Especially in this dark time of woe, what with Disney’s purchase of all things Jedi.)

While I wish all you NaNo novelists great success this November, I shall be over here, in my own little corner, finishing my damn novel at last.

See you in December!

Love, Laura

P.S. Feel free to use my button on your own site, if you also have a novel to finish this month!

Laura Roberts is the author of several humorous and erotic eBooks, including The Montreal Guide to Sex and The Vixen Files: Naughty Notes from a Montreal Sex Columnist. She is finishing her longstanding WIP, Naked Montreal, during the month of November and hopes to have it ready for sale in time for the XXXmas holidays. You can read more of her dirty words online at http://nakedmontreal.net

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOD I LOVE THAT IDEA. National FINISH YOUR F#($*# NOVEL MONTH! :)

    ReplyDelete