Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border

Kootenai River in NW Montana, near Canadian Border
photo by Gene Tunick of Eureka, Montana

Monday, July 18, 2011

Tip O'Day for Writers #89

A literary agent once told me, "Don't be so damn logical, Dixon." I think that's what guest blogger James Rourke is getting at here.

The conscious mind isn't king. Stories seem to emerge more than are consciously written, especially in the early drafts. Get your thoughts down on paper and don't resist the unfolding story. I've written pages and wondered, "Why is this happening to this character?" When I've tried to change it to something I "understood" I developed a knot in my stomach.

Sometimes the story knows what it's doing even when you don't.

James Rourke is author of The Eternal Struggle: Two Worlds, One War

No comments:

Post a Comment